BRIEF HISTORY OF NSW POSTCARD COLLECTORS SOCIETY INC
About the end of 1979, a small group of enthusiasts comprising collectors and antique dealers banded together to share their hobby of postcard collecting. Early meetings were held above the art gallery of Josef Lebovic at 294 Oxford Street, Paddington. The number of enthusiasts grew and meetings moved to larger premises owned by the Philatelic Association of NSW at Philas House, Brisbane Street, Sydney.
The New South Wales Postcard Collectors Society was formed in 1980 ; it later became incorporated. The original committee was steered by President David Cook author of ‘Picture Postcards of Australia 1898-1920’. Also on the first committee were Vice-President Barry Weston, Secretary Brendon Sforcina and Treasurer John Scanes.
The first Bulletin was published in August 1980. It was produced bi-monthly. A postal Auction of postcards, cigarette and trades cards is included with the Bulletin twice a year.
The Society has produced its own postcards from time to time to commemorate particular occasions, and to advise members and others of the dates of forthcoming fairs. Several of these are depicted below.
CURRENT COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Ron Pollard, Des Beechey, John Sumner
Patrick Boussseton, Robert Mills, Neil Litchfield
MEMBERS’ COLLECTING INTERESTS LISTING
Members have the option of making their collecting interests and contact details available through this website to enable fellow collectors to contact them concerning mutual collecting interests. You can see the collecting interests of those members who have chosen this option by CLICKING HERE.