Welcome to this Website for collectors and other lovers of Postcards, Cigarette and Trade cards and many other forms of ephemera and paper collectables. While based in Sydney, Australia the New South Wales Postcard Collectors Society Inc has members throughout Australia, and in many different parts of the world. For details of Membership Fees and Application For Membership CLICK HERE
The Society holds four great fairs a year at the Petersham Town Hall, at which there are literally tens of thousands of cards and items of ephemera and other collectables for sale- many of which are now 100 years or more old! To see a few examples of items that “changed hands” at a recent fair CLICK HERE
Dates for fairs are:
Sunday 26 May 2013
Sunday 25 August 2013
Sunday 24 November 2013
The Fairs are a great place to meet and converse with other collectors and dealers, and to get some idea of what is involved in the hobby of collecting cards and other paper ephemera and its joys and challenges.
Postcards, Cigarette and Trade cards:
- depict almost every aspect of human activity, endeavour and interest
- provide vivid and often attractive images of great relevance to a very wide range of people with interests as diverse as local history, military and naval history, Australiana, advertising, sports such as cricket or football, art nouveau, entertainment, ethnography, anthropology, railways, shipping, aviation, fantasy, children’s art, animals and birds (both domestic and wild), glamour, humour, rural life and traditional industries such as timber, mining, wheat and wool, fine arts, crafts
- are keenly sought by those interested in particular countries and regions of the world (from very large and famous cities to remote and isolated islands).
- provide wonderful examples of a very wide range of graphic art and its techniques over more than 100 years
- provide philatelists with rare and highly collectable postmarks and (occasionally) valuable stamps.
A regularly rotating selection of images depicted upon cards and ephemera collected by members of the Society are showcased below to illustrate the range and depth of interests of collectors of these wonderful “pieces of old paper”. To see the other items which have previously been showcased CLICK HERE